The early days of summer turn me into a bit of a Spendy McGee. “Another pitcher of sangria for the table, please! What are patios for?” “Why yes, I’d love to attend your wedding, distant friend I have lost touch with! Would be happy to purchase you many gifts and also buy myself a bus ticket out to Windsor for the evening! WH NOT?!” “Look, I just need this dress and I don’t care that it’s not on sale, we’re meant for each other. It’s so summer-y!” You get it. Once July hits, I start to realize this summer guy is sticking around and my money is not. Sunburnt and broke, I try to reassess, and usually end up starting between three and nine hare-brained schemes to try to save and/or make more cash before the month’s end. Here’s what I did this week.
- Instituted a Two Wear policy on shirts before washing, and basically an Infinite Wear policy on skirts and pants. This does not apply to work out clothes. REPEAT: does NOT apply to work out clothes. (I do nude yoga.)
- Discovered that literally anything in one’s fridge can be turned into either a pasta dish or a “green smoothie.” Some successful combinations have included key-lime kale smoothies and “just margarine” pasta, the eight-year-old’s classic.
- Pencilled in some summer nights with this list of free outdoor movies in Toronto this summer. Josie and the Pussycats, I am coming for you with a bottle of wine and another bottle of 40-proof nostalgia.
- Attempted to set up a Gertrude Stein-style salon of rotating artist friends in my home by luring them there with promises of key-lime kale smoothies, therefore never leaving the house and having to apply costly sunscreen or pay for the TTC.
- Found out I can pay student fare on the TTC still, at age 25. Felt alternately good about my skin care regimen and bad about ripping off an underfunded public service.
- Agreed to go to free yoga in the park (fully clothed) (#sacrifices) at 10am on a damn Sunday. Physical activity outdoors beforenoon on a Sunday. I am basically a martyr for the cause of budgets.
- Unable to afford a bikini wax, I downstairs Nair-ed. It was extremely stressful. Things got out of hand, symmetry-wise, and I ended up with an accidental Nair-zilian and now I’m cold when I wear skirts.
- Didn’t really go out much, and kind of liked it. I’m a lil’ sober hermit these days (terrible thundy-storms have helped this seem less lame to both my friends and myself) and it’s making me feel productive, centered, and healthy. Plus, $$$$! We did it! We’re doing it!