I’ve been on a bit of a chickpea kick lately; incorporating them into, well, anything I can. When I attended a wedding quite a while ago that served crispy spicy chickpeas as a bar snack, I was obsessed with recreating them at home as either a lovely little topper for a salad or as part of a killer nut mix. Don’t know what took me so long, but I finally got around to it this weekend and much to my surprise, they were insanely simple to make. Once they are cooled, you can keep them in a Tupperware or sandwich bag for up to a couple of days.
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Drain liquid from each can of chickpeas and lay them out on a rimmed baking sheet
- Drizzle chickpeas with olive oil
- Coat oiled chickpeas with salt and spices
- Toss them up until they are all evenly coated
- Pop in the oven for 35 – 45 minutes, stirring once at around the 20 minute mark
- The object is for these little babies to be extra crispy, so don’t be shy to taste test and leave them in the oven a little longer until they hit their desired crispness
- Enjoy as a pre-dinner snack with a pint of your favorite beer!