If you have a special woman in your life that you love and are in doubt of what to get her this holiday season, then use this Nice-Nice list of beautiful things as a guide. Many of the items are Canadian-made, most can be found in local boutiques, and all can be purchased in time for Christmas. (But do hustle.)
If you’re reading this and you are the woman that deserves a nice thing (quite likely), then perhaps gently forward it to the person in your life who may need a little assistance with ideas of what to get YOU this Christmas. (Hint hint, nudge nudge…)
Gifts are better when chosen carefully. So what made our list? Things we love that deserve praise and are sure to please.
- Rose Gold Pineapple Shot Glasses from BYOB Cocktail Emporium. An artful addition to a carefully curated living room bar that will spark fruity conversation between sips of vodka. Intended for the stylish entertainer or mixologist in the making. $48
- Petite Square Studs by ASH from BRIKA. Jewelry is not an area where we advise taking risks, but it is always a lovely thing to give. Go for something classy but understated so that she can wear it every day. These square studs go perfectly with a boardroom blazer or ripped jeans and a clean white tee. $56
- Grace: Thirty Years Of Fashion At Vogue. You don’t need to be fashion-obsessed to love Grace; anyone who admires a bold risk-taker or eccentric spirit will fall deep into daydreaming while slowly turning the pages of this beautiful new release by Phaidon. Of course, if she is a lover of textures and patterns, then this book will become a treasured item in her home. $200
- Port Franc Calais Slippers. Is there anyone who doesn’t love a cozy new pair of slippers this time of year? We were recently introduced to this beautiful Montreal-based operation, with roots in La Rochelle and Porto Vecchio, France, and quickly fell in love. Order by December 18th, and they’ll arrive at your door in time for coffee and croissants on Christmas morning. A bright red plaid always pleases us, but you can browse the full collection here. $99
- Cashmere Pom Pom Hat from The Cashmere Shop in Yorkville. In a country where half the year is spent wearing a toque, it’s okay to splurge on something you’ll feel good in each and every day. Keep her cozy all winter long with the cutest cashmere hat around. $175
- Fortnight Lingerie. Hot tip: Women almost always want you to buy them lingerie. Sneak a peek at her bra size, and go for it. Fornight is the sexiest local label, and you can find it at Future of Frances Watson in Parkdale. This exquisite sapphire + black longline lace bralette is an item to behold, but so is all of their stuff. $109
- Silver Fox Fur Clutch by Life of Manek. Vintage proprietor and designer Nicole Manek has been repurposing fur and leather into one-of-a-kind wardrobe classic pieces, giving Grandma’s treasured fur coat a new life. There are also several non-fur sparkly options for some NYE glam to browse. $129
- Jenny Bird RiRi Collar. An everyday statement necklace from local designer Jenny Bird is the safest way to get a smile. (You really can’t eff this one up.) We’re big fans of all her designs, but we cannot resist a little chain game in our closet. $145 at Zane.
- Broadbent Sisters Tarot Cards from Easy Tiger. Is your girl looking to the stars for some answers? Penned by Joy and Rose Broadbent, Toronto artists and sisters who hosted AGO Massive earlier this year, this deck of cosmic awe is not only a key to the universe, but also a mesmerizing piece of art that will undoubtedly quadruple in value. $60
- Humans of New York Coffee Table Book from Indigo. Is there anything better in the entire world than Brandon Stanton’s blog about humanity and life? Probably not. Beautiful photographs and honest words that will give anyone endless hours of inspiration and deep thought. $21.52
- Bobbi Brown Creamy Matte Lip from Holt Renfrew. A high-quality classic red lippy is always a prized item and a subtle way to say, “I love your smile, let’s kiss.” $35
- Gold Apothecary Citrus Eucalyptus Bath Salts. Handmade in Toronto by Clara Gold, these divine bath salts bring together grapefruit and eucalyptus fragrance notes. Once she’s opened them, be sure to schedule some time to draw a bath, light some candles, pour her a glass and revel in her beauty. If she desires, stay to massage her neck/feet, or just give her time to soak and unwind. (Just living out our own fantasy here while typing.) $25
- Heavenly Cream Tea by Sloane Fine Tea Merchants. As divine as it sounds, we love this Canadian company’s tea flavours and aren’t shy to admit that the pretty tea tins also lure us. Once she’s enjoyed the delicious loose-leaf tea, we bet she’ll find a second life for the gorgeous tin can it came in. Find Sloane Tea at Indigo or stop into Parkdale’s magical tea room, Kitten and Bear.
- You’re A Gem Pencils from BRIKA. Bring back that fluttery feeling of when you first asked her out with this cute set of nine pencils. Perfect sweet thing to fill a stocking. $14
- Drake General Store Landscape Plates. Make mealtime a trip to some of Canada’s most breathtaking landscapes. Grab one dish to help serve a family-style meal, or get an entire set to take your dinner party to interesting places. $18
- Gift Certificate to Stillwater Spa. For moms especially, there is no better gift to receive than the gift of time for yourself, and there’s no better way to spend it than in absolute relaxation and indulgence. We’re loyal patrons of Stillwater Spa at The Park Hyatt, because it is absolute luxury and has always served us well. To each their own, but we’d definitely go for a sixty-minute massage, be it Swedish, River Stone, or Zen Shiatsu. $170 (prices vary)
- Single-Strap Leather Choker by UNCUFFED. Okay, truth be told, UNCUFFED designer Olga Barsky doubles as Shedoesthecity’s totally amazing Director of Sponsorship, but that is not why this wicked little choker made it on the list. Since launching just a year ago, UNCUFFED has glossed the pages of nearly every worthy Canadian fashion mag, and has amassed a loyal following of the coolest style makers in town. This elegant baby will bring a hint of edge to any look. Scoop it online with local pickup or find it at The Chic Canuck booth at Toronto Designers Market. $45
- AGO Membership. A thoughtful and smart gift for the art lover that will provide thought-provoking, beautiful and cultural experiences all year long. If the woman in your life happens to be your lover/life partner, then the dual membership also sends a strong message: let’s plan more cool date nights. There’s nothing cooler in Toronto than AGO First Thursdays or AGO Friday Nights! Individual $110/ Dual $145. (Psst: if you’re wondering why image is an antique hairbrush, it’s cuz it worked better in collage than a photo of a card AND because AGO’s Gift Shop is an amazing destination for truly unique gifts.)
- 6-Month Hand-Tied Bouquet Subscription from Wild North Flowers. OMG – how magnificent would this be? A freshly cut bouquet of flowers to arrive at her door each month! Way to wow her! And keep your relationship burning strong all the way to summer. Yes, this is a very good idea. $295
- Merino Ribbed Tights from Wolford. She’d likely never splurge on these, but she will live in them and love them. If your woman constantly has holes in her tights or maybe complains that her tights always fall down her bum, leaving her cheeks freezing cold in January, then this is really quite a lovely gesture. $170
peace, love, joy. xo