This weekend, our top Toronto to-do is Parkdale‘s annual Spring Into Parkdale Sidewalk Festival + Night Market. Whether you want to stroll along the West Queen West strip, check out all the shops and venues, hit up some family fun activities with your kids, or sip and savour the local delights, the streets will come alive this Saturday (May 12)! This is the perfect opportunity to do a deep dive into this historic west-end neighbourhood.
Shopgirls, House of Vintage, Crown Flora, Three Fates Shop, The Imperative, Sylvie and Shimmy, Frances Watson, Dead Dog Records, Queen West Antiques: so many of our city favourites line the blocks between Dufferin and Roncesvalles, and there’s always something new to check out, so choose your own Parkdale adventure! Here are a few highlights we’re looking forward to:
The Kids Zone: Brought to you by The Boulevard Club, this 10,000 sq ft family play area features free crafts, face painting and so much more (Callender Ave, 1624 Queen W):
- Smash! Grab a tennis racket and check out the inflatable “Smash Zone.” How fast can you hit the tennis ball?!
- Say Cheese! Grab a silly prop and let photographer Becca Gilgan snap a photo portrait of your family or crew. All images are free and will be posted on Facebook after the festival.
- Mobile Skate Park: Get those kids on some wheels! Learn to skateboard or scooter at the Evolve mobile skate park. Equipment and instructors will be available on site.
- DJ Fluffy Soufflé: Unabashed, unapologetic and loads of fun, Miss Fluffy Soufflé is sure to keep the whole family entertained and on their feet!
- Pirate Life: Join the crew and search for treasure! The pirates have sailed into Toronto and need your help to solve the mysteries and riddles! Climb aboard and partake in the adventure!
- Chaulk it up! Leave your mark on Parkdale with Parkdale-based visual artist Bareket Kezwer as she invites you to share what makes you happy in her interactive chalk installation. Come out and take part in her ongoing project #365daysofsmile.
The Cycling Zone: Get a free bike tune up and learn more about local cycling advocacy groups and projects. This is a side-road closure located next to the Kids Zone (1624 Queen St W @ Callender).
The Community Zone: Brought to you by Adam Helps, The Community Zone is a 5,000 sq ft road closure located at Cowan Ave and features local groups and agencies doing incredible work within the Parkdale Community. Come and support a great cause, spin to win, donate or learn more about getting involved (1313 Queen St W @ Cowan).
The Zero Waste Fair: Hosted by Zero Waste Hub Toronto, the fair features repair, reuse, recyclers, DIY interactive activity stations, workshops, waste/eco educators/activists, and an interactive plastic litter/waste art installation. Vendors will be located around the Parkdale Library, down Cowan Avenue and in Masaryk-Cowan Park (220 Cowan @ Queen St W).
Parkdale Flea Market: Browse this special spring edition of the Parkdale Flea Market, bringing together some of the best and most unique products from antiques, vintage, collectables, local artisans and designers. This bigger-than-ever market starts at the Dufferin Amphitheatre and weaves all the way down Noble Street (1266 Queen St W @ Noble).
Toronto Designers Market Patio Pop-Up: This pop-up will feature over thirty designers ranging from furniture and household items to clothing and jewellery. Come and explore the indoor and outdoor patio market (1605 Queen St W).
Sidewalk Sale: Browse dozens of local deals, vendors and artisans along Queen West from Roncesvalles to Dufferin! Visit local shops as they offer deals inside and out as well as giveaways or special attractions and entertainment!
Tulips Giveaways: Head on over to the info booth at Roncesvalles & Queen St W, grab a festival map and free tulips! (One potted tulip per person while quantities last.)
All of this plus FREE tulips!? Can life get better? See you on the street.