A short roundup of innocent, cocoa-and-board-game-type, family winter activities to keep you occupied in the upcoming months. No parties here, folks. This is good, clean, PG-rated fun.
1. The Knit Cafe: Knitting nights are not just for old ladies anymore. With a range of beginner to advanced classes in knitting, crocheting, scarf, sock and sweater-making, The Knit Cafe offers a cozy and crafty way to take refuge from the cold. Prices vary according to course, 1050 Queen St. W.
2. DJ Skate: Unleash your inner Kurt Browning and quadruple jump your Saturday night away to a soundtrack of DJ-spun jams. Be sure to wave as you spin past me wobbling along the sidelines. Saturdays from 8-11pm, FREE, The Natrel Rink at Harbourfront Centre
3. Snakes and Lattes: For some good, nostalgic, old-fashioned fun, head to Snakes and Lattes at Bloor and Bathurst for coffee, pastries and every single board game you could ever think of. Monopoly, LIFE, Jenga (!) and all the classics. $5.00, 600 Bloor St. W., at Bathurst.
4. Drake Trivia Night: Grab four of your friends and hit The Drake on Wednesday nights at 8pm for their weekly trivia night. Join host Terrance Balazo and put your knowledge to the test for fun, laughs, beer and a chance to win an $80.00 Drake Gift Card. $2.00, 1150 Queen St. W.
5. The Sound of Music Sing-A-Long at Tiff Bell Lightbox. On December 16 at 7pm and December 30 at 12 and 7pm, Tiff Bell Lightbox is hosting a sing-a-long to The Sound of Music. Dress up as your favourite character from the film (do it, there will be a prize for the best costume) and make the hills come alive with the sound of your voice. 350 King St. W.