Once a week I like to peek into my fridge and challenge myself to make something tasty and healthy. Here is one of the simplest and most delicious “clean the fridge out” dinners that I’ve made to date.
Walnut Pesto Shrimp with French Beans and Cauliflower Puree
What you’ll need: (serves two)
12-14 shrimp (fresh or thawed)
2 handfuls of green beans (or asparagus)
2-3 shallots or 1/2 onion (chopped fine)
1 head of cauliflower
3 tbsp of walnut pesto (your choice of flavour or homemade)
1 tsp of dried chilis (optional)
2 green onions or parsley (for puree and final plating)
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
What to do:
- Heat oil in a medium/large pan.
- Saute onions until translucent on low/med heat. Add green beans and cook until nearly done, but still have some crunch and texture.
- Add shrimp and cook until firm and pink
- Meanwhile: Steam cauliflower
- Throw cooked cauliflower into your food processor with some fresh parsley, olive oil, and salt/pepper.
- Process on low until it reaches desired texture (I like it nearly smooth).
- Add pesto to the beans and shrimp, and heat through but not enough that it separates.
- On your plates smooth out a little mountain of cauliflower, and top with with beans and shrimp!
- Add some green onions or fresh parsley for colour and enjoy!
Rachel A. Bies, CNP is the on-site nutritionist for McEwan Foods and Fit Factory Fitness Gym. She believes that food should always be delicious, fun, and healthy, and will be sharing her foodie nutritionist tips, recipes and lifestyle suggestions with SDTC readers! We love her approach to clean living and think you’ll find her easy tricks helpful and inspiring.