It’s easy for us to come up with who we think deserves the title of Top Style Icon of the decade and maybe we can decipher the trends that the 2000’s will forever be associated however narrowing the field to Top 5 Designers is pretty tricky. Rather then dream up all three – we turned to the woman in Toronto who is absolute authority on terrific fashion – Barbara Atkin, Vice President Fashion Direction for Holt Renfrew. We loved what she had to say:
TOP STYLE ICONS
1. Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen… they innovate, not imitate.
2. Chloe Sevigny… a risk taker. She is always original.
Kate Moss … a keen sense of self. Always effortlessly chic, so many have tried to emulate her style, but none can match her.
Daphne Guinness… she was born a style icon, not made into one by a stylist.
5. Michael Jackson… from his military jackets, use of sequins and metallics, to his fedoras and skin tight pants, he has inspired everyone from Balmain to Sienna Miller, Victoria Beckham and Beyonce.
1. Borrowing from the boys/masculine feminine trend
2. Opposites attract…denim and sequins, leather and lace, masculine fabrics with feminine fabrics
3. Boho-chic-multiculturalism…the mix of ethnicity for fabrics, prints and details
4. Recycling or remixing decades from the 30’s, 60’s, 70’s and 80’s
5. The return of “preppy chic” style… with key items like the dress and cardigan, the “it” bag, oversized sunglasses, mini dresses and designer shoes
TOP DESIGNERS ASSOCIATED WITH THE 2000’S…
1. Nicholas Ghesquire for Balenciaga… he has made Balenciaga one of the most coveted labels of the 2000’s; his constant vision of the future has made him a designer’s designer in his ability to shape fashion.
Miucca Prada… a true artist and visionary; she takes the consumer to a place they have never been.
Elbar Albaz for Lanvin… a technical virtuoso, whose clothes hug a woman’s body, never constricts it. Always sexy, simple, glamorous and weightless.
Christophe Decarnin for Balmain … is responsible for forming the cult of “Balmainia”, one of the most expensive clothing collections of this decade, yet one of the most coveted choices for celebrities. He has spawned a cult, clamoring for his rock n’ roll cool.
Marc Jacobs… one of the great contemporary fashion talents. He can identify what’s “cool” whether it be from his Marc by Marc Jacobs collection, his signature Marc Jacobs collection or his Louis Vuitton collection. He has the Midas touch and is able to blend commerciality with creativity.