In this crazy heat wave (also known as summertime), keeping hydrated is a top priority. One of the most hydrating vegetables out there are…cucumbers! Here are eight great reasons to grab one today.
1. It’s a quick pick me-up. Cucumbers are a good source of B vitamins. Put down your sodas and coffee and eat a cucumber slice.
2. It rehydrates the body and replenishes daily vitamins. Cucumbers are 95 percent water, keeping the body hydrated while helping the body eliminate toxins. Cucumbers have most of the vitamins the body needs in a single day. Make sure to leave the skin on because the skin contains a good amount of Vitamin C—about 10 percent of the daily-recommended allowance.
3. It’s good for your skin and hair care. Cucumber skin can be used for your skin irritations and sunburns the way aloe would be used. Place a slice over swollen eyes and its anti-inflammatory properties help reduce puffiness. Plus, the silicon and sulfur in cucumbers helps to stimulate hair growth.
4. It helps fight cancers. Cucumbers are known to contain lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and secoisolariciresinol—research has shown these three lignans to have a strong history in connection with the reduced risk of several cancers, including breast cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, and prostate cancer.
5. It can be used for home care. Before taking a shower, rub a cucumber slice along your mirror and it will prevent the mirror fogging up. Instead of WD40, take a cucumber slice and rub it along a squeaky hinge and your door will stop squeaking.
6. It relieves bad breath. Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds. The phytochemcials will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.
7. Its a hangover cure. To avoid a morning hangover or headache, eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins, and electrolytes to replenish many essential nutrients, reducing the intensity of both a hangover and a headache.
8. It aids in weight loss and digestion. Due to its low calorie content, the cucumber is an ideal food for people who are looking to lose weight. The high water content and dietary fiber in cucumbers are very effective in ridding the body of toxins from the digestive system, aiding your digestion. Daily consumption of cucumbers can also be regarded as a remedy for chronic constipation.
So many great reasons to buy one little vegetable!