Quinoa salads are a life saver for those eating gluten free!!! When I first had to make the switch to eating gluten free, one of the biggest challenges was lunch. I was used to eating a sandwich, and all of a sudden sandwiches were not so appetizing. The cardboard bread just wasn’t doing it for me, but I quickly discovered quinoa salads. Let me tell you, life just hasn’t been the same since—in a good way.
I feel solely responsible for converting most of Toronto to eating quinoa salads. At first, on summer weekends at friends’ cottages, I would bring a small amount just to make for myself for lunch while everyone else ate sandwiches. Then, people kept asking to try it, and asking for a bit more. Now, it’s basically assumed (and anxiously anticipated) that lunch will consist of a massive quinoa salad filled with veggies and a great dressing. So for today’s post, I want to share with you my favourite quinoa salad recipe.
The Ultimate Quinoa Salad Recipe
- 1 bell pepper (any colour)
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 4 green onions
- 1 can of black beans (I use Eden Organics)
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- juice of 1.5 lemons
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup tahini
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil (toasted brings out a better flavour)
- ⅛ cup tamari
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions
- Meanwhile, chop all vegetables
- Blend all dressing ingredients in food processor
- Mix cooked quinoa and chopped vegetables
- Pour dressing over top of quinoa (you may not need all the dressing)
Mandy King is a Holistic Nutritionist and Gluten Free Guru who shares her expertise with She Does The City. For recipes and nutrition tips, visit her website, HEAL. Follow Mandy on Twitter @mandyking_HEAL. Like Healthy Eating and Living on Facebook here. You can also find Mandy on Pinterest and Instagram.