by Dilys Tong
This Christmas, be a finance wizard by making your own Christmas gifts and decorations. Not only is it a great way to add your personal touch to the gifts but also a great way to eliminate the dreadful arrival of the unwelcome Visa bills in the January. At just a fraction of the cost, you can create gifts worthy of the queen!
We will start with a Christmas stocking as our first project for the holiday. Gotta have some place to hold all the goodies that we are going to make later!!
What you will need:
- ½ M of fabric – try to choose fabric that have interesting texture or prints to sass up the stocking. Let the fabric do the work for you.
- ½ M of fleece – a contrasting color always look better
- 7” long ½” twill tape or ribbon
- Letters charms in the names of your loved ones
- Sewing machine
- Pins and thread
- On a piece of paper, draw the shape of the stocking of your choice. Just make sure it is big enough to hold all the goodies for your loved ones.
- Once you establish the shape, add seam allowance of ½” all around
- Cuff: measure the top edge of the stocking, then x that by 2 (to go all around the top), that number will be the width of the cuff. For example, if it’s 7”, 7 x 2 = 14. 14” is the width. For the height of the cuff, it’s 9”.
- Add seam allowance ½” around the cuff.
- Stocking – cut 2 fabric
- Cuff – cut 1 fleece
Step 1: Place the stocking body with the good sides facing together. Stitch around the stocking, leaving the top edge open.
Step 2: Clip the seam allowance at the curved edge. It will allow the stocking edge to lie flat.
Step 3: Turn the stocking right side out. Press.
Step 4: Cuff
- With the good side facing together, stitch the back seam.
- Fold the cuff in half, with the wrong side facing together, bringing one edge to the other.
Step 5: Stitch the cuff to the stocking
- Place the good side of the cuff to the inside of the stocking. Stitch around
- Flip the cuff to the good side of the stocking.
Step 6: Sew the twill tape or ribbon to the cuff as the loop.
Step 7: Hand stitch the letter charms to the cuff
Bring out the mini liquor bottles and other goodies and start to fill up the stocking! Stay tuned for the next Christmas project idea!