The Trinity Bellwoods Flea will continue, but is taking health and safety measures seriously
UPDATE: This event has now been cancelled.
In these precarious times, when we’re all taking efforts to flatten the curve
, it’s hard to know whether to continue to support local businesses and happenings—that will no doubt be feeling the financial impacts of a global pandemic—or practice prudent social distancing and remain at home. Is there a happy medium?
In a recent post on their Instagram account
, the Trinity Bellwoods Flea
, a popular monthly market that features dozens of local vendors selling handmade items, from fashion to food, outlined a series of steps that they are taking in the wake of COVID-19.
- Guests to the market will be required to sanitize their hands prior to entering.
- Staff will ensure that there is no more than 150 customers in the venue at any given time. As the venue fits 300 comfortably, this will allow for space for people to keep distant.
- All food items will be sold pre packaged, not left out in the open. Reusable containers will not be accepted at this time.
- Additional washrooms will be opened, and well stocked with antibacterial soap.
- No outside food/cups will be allowed in the venue. Coffee will be provided on site.
“Life is still happening and must continue to happen. While these extra steps may be inconvenient, it’s the best way for the community to continue to support local small businesses in a safe and secure environment,” reads a note from organizers.
Unlike much bigger events, such as a Raptors game or The Junos (both cancelled) this is a much smaller gathering. Of course, attendance is up to the individual, but we wanted to share their approach as an example of how one beloved event is taking sensible, measured steps that consider the impacts that this health crisis has on the general public, as well as local neighbourhood businesses.
Trinity Bellwoods Flea is a monthly market that takes place at The Great Hall (1087 Queen Street West), the next market is happening Sunday, March 22nd, more info here